About Me

I'm an easy going and adventurous gal who can't believe I'm only a year away from turning 40. In an effort to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40, I've decided to complete a Half Ironman Triathlon, write a blog to keep me focused, and celebrate my birthday by hiking the Inca trail to Macchu Picchu.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Colorful Summer Salad

I know I need to eat more fruits and vegetables.  So this weekend, I decided to make a fruit salad that would be handy for snacking.  I used watermelon and blueberries (because a friend recently told me they were great together) and grapes (because my mom was in town visiting and had some left from her drive).  The result was a beautiful and refreshing fruit salad!

The colors make the salad so pretty and much more enjoyable to eat.   But there's more - colors of fruits and vegetables are natures way of telling us what health benefits that particular fruit or vegetable has.

Based on some info I got from an article in Taos News, this salad has the following health benefits :

Grapes - Green produce indicates antioxidant potential and may promote healthy vision and reduce cancer risks.

Blueberries - Purple and blue produce may have antioxidant and anti-aging benefits and may help with memory, urinary tract health, and reduced cancer risks.

Watermelon - Red produce may help maintain a healthy heart, vision, immunity and my reduce cancer risks.




1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. So with watermelon you go with the red of the meat and not the green of the rind? Interesting. I love all kinds of fruit and the more you can put in a salad the better I think it is. Yours looks very yummy and refreshing. :)

    ReplyDelete