About Me

I'm an easy going and adventurous gal who can't believe I'm only a year away from turning 40. In an effort to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40, I've decided to complete a Half Ironman Triathlon, write a blog to keep me focused, and celebrate my birthday by hiking the Inca trail to Macchu Picchu.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Biking for good!

Taking my sister, Allison, for a ride
There is something special and freeing about riding a bike.  I love the feeling of racing down a hill with the wind blowing through my hair or exploring new trails and roads.  When I was a kid I loved riding my bike around the neighborhood.  And I remember how proud I was when I was old enough to ride my bike to some stores less than 2 miles from our house.  I would ride to the grocery store to play my favorite video game,  Galaga, and then stop by Paper Chase, the local stationary store, to buy new stickers or Steve's Sundry to buy a magazine.  And because of my bike I was free to do it without having to ask my mom for a ride.

Even as an adult I have experienced the freedom that comes with riding a bike.  When I moved to Thailand one of my first priorities was to buy a bicycle from Carrefour (a European owned Wal-Mart type store).  And I can still remember how I felt riding my new bike around the city the evening I bought it - I was so free and happy.  I even learned how to strap printers and chairs to the back of my bike when needed.

Getting around Chiang Mai by bike 
There is something special about riding a bike.  And now I am going to be a part of a couple of events that allow me to help others by doing something that I enjoy so much!

On the weekend of April 30 and May 1st, I will be riding 153 miles along a route from Dr Pepper Park in Frisco to Sundance Square in Fort Worth with an overnight stay at the Texas Motor Speedway for the MS 150.   I will be participating in this ride with my friend Sandy Hennip, whose brother in law was just diagnosed with MS.  The money raised will go to the National MS Society to fund research, advocate for change, and help people with MS and their families lead powerful lives.

Then a little over a week after that, on May 8th, I will travel to Beaumont, Texas for Bike Out Hunger.  We will embark on the 9th of May for a five day and approximately 365 mile ride up the state of Texas to Texarkana.  The money raised will go to the Texas Baptist Offering for World Hunger to support people and organizations who are meeting hunger needs and sharing the hope of Christ at home and around the world.

So, in the course of 2 weeks I will be riding my bike over 500 miles to raise money and awareness for two great organizations that are helping to bring freedom to those who need it dearly!


If you would like to sponsor me for either of these rides, you can go to the following pages:
Click here for MS 150 and then click on the donate to Jennifer button that is just above the thermometer  
Click here for Bike Out Hunger and then click on the Sponsor Me button on the right side of the page  
  

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Jen! Love the pics :-) Wish I could be there to do one or both of those rides with you...one day I'll get to do it!
    Keep on riding...
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look forward to a long ride with you in the future. And a trail run :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, so glad to see this blog - it's, um, well....AMAZING! What fantastic goals. And, are you serious? You're gonna be 40 next year? I had no clue our ages weren't so close. I love that you are fun and adventurous and not that turning 40 is a bad thing...I just didn't know you turned 39 this year. I love your goal! I love your passion! I love the way you hear from the Lord about lots of different things and respond. Here's to more of Him in this coming year...that not only would your body be physically in great health, but that your spirit would touch deeper places of intimacy with the Father and that your spirit would be healthier than it's ever been as well! Cheers to you in this endeavor!

    ReplyDelete