About Me

I'm an easy going and adventurous gal who can't believe I'm only a year away from turning 40. In an effort to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40, I've decided to complete a Half Ironman Triathlon, write a blog to keep me focused, and celebrate my birthday by hiking the Inca trail to Macchu Picchu.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Fruits and Veggies

I haven't been perfect, but I've certainly been more motivated to workout since I set the goal of a half ironman and hiking to Macchu Picchu.  With all the workouts, I have found that I am even more tired than normal.  The problem is that I eat horribly.  I'm not really a fruit and vegetable kind of gal.  I think they look beautiful in the store.  But too often I buy them with good intentions just to find them rotting a week later because I forgot to eat them. And yet the food I buy that could last for decades because of the additives and preservatives is gone within a week.  Today I went to Sprouts Farmer's Market - a new grocery store near me that sells organic and healthy food and local produce.  Just walking into the store made me feel twenty times healthier.  I wonder if making regular visits to Sprouts will cause healthy eating habits to take over my not so healthy ones?

If I am going to continue to train and get to the best shape of my life, I’ve got to give my body the nutrition it needs.  So for the next couple weeks, I'm going to focus on getting more fruits and vegetables in my diet.  The food pyramid suggests 3-5 servings of vegetables and 2-4 servings of fruit a day.  However since there are days that I have had 0 fruit and 0 vegetable servings for the day I think I will start with a goal of 3 fruit or vegetable servings each day and work my way up from there.

Lat week, I had an interesting conversation with my cousin Anna (she has run a half marathon and completed a triathlon).  She was asking me for advice on putting more fruits and veggies in her diet.  Really Anna, do you think I’m the one to offer advice in this area? Shockingly I had several suggestions for her:
  • make fruit smoothies for breakfast
  • cut up vegetables (like sweet potatoes, onions, squash) and bake them with rosemary or other spices
  • carrots or broccoli with hummus for a snack
  • raw snap peas for a snack
  • make a soup (8 can soup is one of my favs)
So, now I need to take my own advice!  Do you have any other suggestions for me?

3 comments:

  1. I like the fruit smoothie idea, but it's hard for me to get into that when it's still kind of cold outside. Honestly, it's just hard for me to want to eat ANY fruit or veggies this time of year. Hopefully it will get easier as it gets warmer.

    Have you ever heard of/tried green smoothies, made with veggies instead of fruit? That could be another way to get vitamins from veggies. And there's always my good old stand-by...a huge salad for lunch or dinner. Lettuce has so much water in it, it's great to keep you hydrated when you're doing a lot of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this talk of veggies reminds me of the commercial
    "I could have had a can of V-8". Might be worth checking out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, great picture of the bell peppers!

    ReplyDelete